Workplace accidents can happen in a seemingly endless number of ways. Workers in Massachusetts who are simply going about their duties in jobs that are generally expected to be safe can suddenly suffer injuries, get ill and even lose their lives if the circumstances come together in an unfortunate way. One situation in which people can become sick and lose their lives is through chemical exposure and toxic fumes. After such an incident, those who become sick can be impacted for an extended period, if not their entire lives. In a worst-case scenario, a person can die.

According to reports, a man working at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant died after a mistaken combination of cleaning products created fumes and a toxic atmosphere. The man, 32, was a new father. He was the general manager of the restaurant. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, he got sick after a colleague used two cleaning substances that were not supposed to be mixed. The other employee left the restaurant to get air when the fumes took effect.

The general manager tried to clear the substance from the building. Emergency crews were called to the location at around 5:30 p.m. The man went outside on his own and was nauseous. He was brought to the hospital, where he died. In total, 13 people were either taken to the hospital or checked in themselves. Workers at the restaurant and customers were included in those who sought treatment. They suffered from breathing difficulties and their eyes were burning. All were released. The investigation is ongoing.

Unexpectedly losing a loved one is difficult enough, but when it is a work-related accident that happened because another worker made an egregious mistake, it is even worse. Workers’ compensation benefits will provide for those who lost a loved one in a fatal work accident. Still, there is often a dispute as to how much will be paid and fault could be in dispute. It is imperative to be fully protected to get the benefits and compensation after workplace accidents.